Find a thing!

Friday, May 14, 2010

All you Zombies!

Hello all,

I'm in my third semester of Pitts MLIS program. I'm primarily focused on youth services within public libraries. The program has been pretty great, particularly by making me a better and more varied reader. Some of the assignments in my classes have allowed me to devour books that I had placed on the backburner for years.

I chose the program because of its brevity, but also because I got some romantic notion into my head about moving to Pittsburgh (I'm from Virginia originally). I think I want to get out of Pittsburgh once the program is over. I like the city and I want to continue liking it. I'm looking for jobs all over the east coast.

My love of libraries stems from my desire to just work with media. I'm a voracious consumer of music, film, and literature. So I guess it's a somewhat selfish desire. Damn you Neitzsche, you were so right. It's not all about that though. I got in library work simply because I had such a positive experience at my public library as a teenager. I sometimes think I want to recreate that same experience for other teenagers and kids.

I'm certainly into technology to some degree, but I wouldn't call myself a technophile. I used to take old computers apart, so seeing all the video card, RAM, and mother board in class brought me back a bit. I'm simultaneously open-minded and cautious about technology and its ability to solve problems for society. That said, I'm looking forward to this course and beyond!

2 comments:

Followers