Find a thing!

Friday, July 23, 2010

Another One Rides the Bus

For my year in Pittsburgh, there have been two services that I have relied upon the most, and I am eternally grateful for the both of them. The first is obviously the public library system. It has provided me entertainment, intellectual stimulation, and an overall sense of joy.

The other service has been the Port Authority. The bus system has been in a constant state of transition since I have moved here, changing routes and stops left and right every few months or even weeks or days. But they have always managed to inform me early enough in advance for me to be ready for these changes. Right now to get to work, I take the EBA downtown, and then take either the G1 or G2 up the West Busway. those buses come every 20 minutes and my commute is only 40 minutes. The Pitt Student ID makes everything free (or I guess $90 a semester, which is still a deal).

I have lost my wallet on the bus, and someone sent it to the IS building for me after seeing my ID. I lost my phone a few months later, and the Port Authority contacted me immediately. They have been amazing.

Sometimes I'll be sitting on the busway and just be thinking about all the people that it takes to get me to where I am. The driver, the other driver, the people who made the road, the people who made the computers that run the traffic lights. Thousands of seemingly unrelated actions led up to my commute, and I guess my actions are going to lead to a lot of other things for other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers